11 Feb 2012

Radical Diplomacy


When I created this blog, I made a rule that references to two subjects would be kept to a minimum: work and boys. The first because discussing work is like throwing a boomerang that will inevitably bounce back to kick you in the ass and the second, well, because writing about my Mr. Big’s (or the lack of them) for the world to read wouldn’t be Carrie-Bradshaw-fabulous, it would be just be Sofia-Alves-uncomfortable. For me and for the world. 

Nevertheless, today I will open an exception to this rule on both subjects because I have the urge to brag a little bit about my week. At work, we received the visit of the Head of the European Union Representation to Australia & New Zealand. This might not seem like much to you but for those (read: me) emerged in everything with the word ‘Europe’ on it for the past year and half, this feels like meeting a rock star. Ok, maybe the drummer of an indie band only music nerds know about but still very exciting for such nerds (again, read: me).

And because my life tends to take eclectic turns, there’s nothing like going home after such a high ranked diplomatic encounter, take my executive chiq dress off and get ready for a birthday party at a house full of Brazilian radical sport athletes. (Granted, these things didn’t happen in the same day and most of the guys were away to participate in a downhill race but for the sake of the story, it has more literary impact if I describe it like this so bare with me.)

My point is, when I look back at this week, one thought comes to mind: sometimes my life doesn’t completely suck. On the one hand, I got to meet an EU Ambassador at my workplace and, on the other hand, I got to hang out with extremely-pleasant-on-the-eye-and-touch Brazilians. Regarding my interactions with such lovely gentlemen, I’ll include that in my future bestseller which I shall write while sitting by the window of my Manhattan apartment. Or I’ll just tell them to my coworkers when I’m back in Portugal, restocking shelves at a supermarket earning the minimum wage. Either way, a good week it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment