15 Mar 2012

Season 3, Ep. 21

Last Friday evening, I was unexpectedly asked: “we are going to be mentioned in your blog, aren’t we?”. Before I even got the opportunity to process the question (I took some time to first feel flatter by it) someone else rapidly replied: “oh yes, she will definitely write about us!”. Lately, I seem to get this question whenever something worth telling forges itself into existence which is not a far-fetched assumption as  I now, almost automatically, tend to see the acts of my life through the lens of my camera and the keyboard of my laptop -‘this deserves a photo!’ or ‘I need to write about this!’ are recurring thoughts. Accordingly, I shall not disappoint both the fans of my (always at risk of cancellation) sitcom life and the guest starring actors of this particular episode. Hence, let me, indeed, write about it. And given that this is the twenty first post of the blog, a diary of my third endeavour living abroad where the in-between summers count as webisodes, I hereby present you with the script for Season 3, Episode 21 of the Nomad Life of Sofia (working title). 

It was a cold, pitch black night in a place lost between the corner of no and where in the south island of a country already geographically relegated to the outskirts of human civilization. Outside, horses, cows, sheep, chickens and dogs faced Mother Nature's dark and ruthless hours. Inside, a cat and five humans (a Portuguese, a German, a Chinese, a New Zealander, and an Irish) enjoyed the warmth of a fireplace and the modern comforts imposed to an old farm house. In such a recipe-for-disaster scenario, we were lucky enough to avoid being trapped and painfully murdered one by one by a redneck serial killer, kidnapped by aliens or, the one that I most feared, being caught in a zombie apocalypse (with those big glass windows we would be so, well, dead).

Everything went perfectly according to plan, which for this particular episode meant to bring the characters closer together, not to kill anybody off. The script called for a nice dinner followed by fireplace bounded intellectual discussions about Europe (Lecturers, PhD's students and Interns of a research centre on Europe, will, inevitably, discuss the old continent continuously) and late night glasses of wine (or Coke to undisclosed members of the cast) with alcohol soaking the conversation into more mundane (fun!) topics. The hours past and faster than the falling of Europe's southern nations into disgrace, I found myself sharing a heavenly cosy bed with a Hong Kong woman named Cher (one of those experiences I can now cross from my to-do list). The next morning, I was awaken by the good morning chantings of a Rooster outside my window, a two year old playing in the living room and an Irish breakfast of bacon and eggs in the kitchen.

However, the twist that made this a rewatchable episode was not the who, the where or the what. It was the why. My supervisor invited me and the other (now written off script) intern to spend the night at her farm as a sincere thank you for all the help. I'm still an unpaid intern but it helps to believe that some things in life are just priceless.


Next week we are filming on location. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment