17 Jan 2012

The Twenties



Someone told me today that the twenties might just be the hardest period we need to go through in life. At the sound of these words, my first reaction was to vividly disagree – after all, it is the age when we are still young enough but no longer bound to adolescent stupidity and also the age when we can still enjoy life without too much ropes tying our wrists. Nonetheless, it was an arguable but valid point. 

Yes, teenage years are hard but you always have the comfort of knowing that your life still lies ahead in a (apparently) distant future and the thirties will bring you confidence (or regret) about the choices you made in the past. But the twenties are the present. It’s the decade when you make it or break it; when it’s now or probably never. All the dreams you had and all the things you always wanted to pursuit are finally in front of you to be taken or let go. The time when you need to have the courage to jump but also be aware where you are going to fall. When the roads you choose will, indeed, lead you somewhere (which may be no where at all). In no other period of you life is the pressure so high to build the foundations of what you will become.

In the end, I couldn't counter argue such statement because I relate to it. In my twenties I achieved the dreams I had since I was young and for that I am immensely proud of myself but I also feel constantly compelled to sort my life out and make the right decisions. I can hear the clock ticking. Loudly.

These are the twenties. Today will affect tomorrow. Do you agree?

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sof, that's really deep. So deep that it's hard to put down any comments (I guess that's why no one has actually attempted to do it..).

    I would just add that we spend most of our lives dreaming about future and running to catch tomorrow, simply forgetting to stop and focus on TODAY. Be grateful for what has led you to get where you're now and enjoy today to the fullest.

    It's really hard to slow done and get to the conclusions you did in your last paragraph: "hey there, I'm actually proud of myself and all the decisions I've made". Well done Sofia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post was actually the quickest i've written! i know it's highly debatable but it was just something she said with such conviction that i thought it was a perspective worth analysing.

    in the end, what im most proud of is to meet incredible people who are the support i need to keep making this crazy life changes. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete