10 Nov 2011

Getting There: Part II


Woody Allen once said that 80% of success is showing up. I think this motto applies perfectly to friendship too.

Taking Off
I was off to a very good start when I arrived at Madrid airport to be received with open arms and a big smile by a friend that went there just to say goodbye. Her positive attitude towards everything and bright take on life was exactly what I needed to stop breathing like I was having contractions and about to give birth. I told her at the airport that words couldn’t express how much I was thankful and touched not only by the fact that she cared enough to go there but also for all the help and motivation she gave me while not leaving me alone in the four hours I had between flights. So, my sweet Agata, if you are reading this, know that your gesture means the world to me.

Up in the Air (see Getting There: Part I)

Landing
After seeing my very own Ethan Hawke (people if you don’t get the reference, go see Before Sunrise) for the last time when he was already far away and I was still stuck in a immigration post disclosing my most dark motivations to move into this fine country, I finally pass the arrivals’ doors and didn’t even get the time to “aawww” that dramatic farewell moment. I had just received a message on my cellphone, in Portuguese, saying ”Sofia, wait for me at the airport, I will pick you up!” and a few minutes later I heard someone shouting my name. Gotta say it felt pretty unsettling to cross the entire globe, see the sign “Welcome to New Zealand” and seconds later hear my name out loud in my own language. It was Lena, a very nice Portuguese lady with whom I have been in contact for the last weeks through Facebook, who lives in Christchurch with her family. However, it is only unsettling first of all because you don't expect to find someone from your own country so far away from it and second (and most important) because you really don't expect someone who doesn’t know you to be willing to pick you up from the airport for the sheer sake of wanting to help you. Even more so when, from that moment on, you are so welcomed and immediately treated as a family member.

They say life is about the journey and not about the destination. Flying from Lisbon to Christchurch made it literal to me.

The Road Log
Lisbon – Madrid: 1h
Madrid – Dubai: 6h
Dubai – Bangkok: 6h30
Bangkok – Sydney: 8h30
Sydney – Christchurch: 2h30

(if to this numbers one adds the waiting hours in airports, it all comes to the lovely conclusion that crossing half the planet will take about 44 hours)


4 comments:

  1. But come on, they served a free food during the flights, didn't they? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures! Pictures, please!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is comforting to know you can always find great people around the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D

    and I'll be there once you get back! xx

    ReplyDelete