14 Nov 2011

Internship: First Day


As I drop off the bus in an early Monday morning to face my first day of internship I can’t seem to avoid this feeling of ‘I am doing the right thing?’ As I walk among huge trees, listen to birds singing and approach a village of brand new bungalows where my office is located and University classes take place (the 'joke' around is that we are in Auschwitz because it sort of looks like a fancy concentration camp), I think about the contrast this is from the Brussels reality I wanted to escape – dirtiness, the smell of pee and the adoration of a child's statue holding his little penis. And boy, with this nature overload all around me, I sure escaped all of that but... was it a good decision? 

Will I really take something what out this besides spending all my money and live in New Zealand for six months? I’m not getting any younger and I can't keep doing internships for the rest of my life, especially of the unpaid kind. Who the hell cares about the relations between an old and sick Europe with a far far away land of forty million sheep and a bunch of hobbits obsessed with a ring? As these questions take my mind by storm and make my heart squeeze a little with the uncertainty of what the future holds, I have no other option but to enter the door and get started. There’s no turning back now

Oh and I just discovered my office is next to the Department of Sport Sciences which has a constant traffic of pleasant-on-the-eye looking guys dressed in black sport gear. My very own personal All Blacks view for the next months. Not too shabby I'd say.

(pictures of the University campus coming soon)

5 comments:

  1. You ARE doing the right thing, Sofia! If anything it is going to be a great unforgettable experience. So stop torturing yourself and embrace New Zealand with all that it has to give ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The today social pressure forcing us to drive our lifes towards the best possible career opportunities and subordinate everything to this goal makes us forgive that life is, indeed, short and there are other things that matter. Sofia, I think the experience you are going through right now is one of those which worth living for... it's not the future career, it's the experience of NOW, the adventure you absorb by your whole YOU. So, you are doing the right thing, Sofia, because THIS is life, not all the "maybes" in the future. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you girls for the support! i am going to write a post about this (in fact i already did and will publish further along) but for now the short version: the best thing about traveling is not the journey or the destination, is you. is the privileged of meeting people you help shape my life. thank you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comadre,

    You are starting to write as a thirsty man...please let your female being share your thoughts and embrace the current experience as the only thing you have for sure - that and a bunch "green beans" waiting for you when you come back to motherland in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite of its apparently 'girlish' style, I'm much impressed with your writing and story-telling abilities Sofia. I see almost fully realized graphoman. keep writing, its both informative and entertaining and good luck!

    ReplyDelete