20 Nov 2011

One Lake, Two Mountains, Twelve Days


It´s hard to believe it has been less than two weeks since I arrived in New Zealand. This is so because after only twelve days here, I have already lived through situations I never thought I would and I met people I feel like I have known for years due to a level of trust and openess that appeared so effortlessly. And this weekend was the culmination of such a disbelief in the passage of time.


On Saturday, just like last weekend, I went on a trip with my adoptive family. This time the destination was Lake Tekapo, about three hours from Christchurch. It was an awesome trip among valleys, mountains, sheeps, horses, dears, pretty little towns and finally the lake itself which is known for its water's vivid and unique shade of blue. Few times in my life did I find myself so compelled to dive my naked body into such a heavenly made place. Unfortunately, the presence of minors and elders, plus New Zealand´s very strict and highly punitive laws on natural preservation made me constrain my urges for public indecency. Besides, enjoying a Portuguese pic-nic, followed by a self-contemplation moment of being right where I belong while sitting on a rock at the shore of the lake with the sun in my face, was more than enough. Even if my clothes stayed on.


But no, this was not enough. From there we went to the top of a mountain with a breathtaking view and a Portuguese girl from Porto working on the mountain´s café – proof that the Portuguese can even reach a little town with about three and half inhabitants lost in the very end of the world.


That same day, back in Christchurch, the night was calling so I and some friends went to the top of a close by mountain to see the city lights. While there, despite a freezing wind on my face, pitch black all around and a dying fear for being kidnapped by aliens, having someone holding me tight to numb the cold and witnessing that night skyline right in front of my eyes, made me feel exactly the same way I did at the lake – blessed for being in that very place in that very moment with those very people.

Comes Sunday and a Portuguese/Brazilian barbecue gave me the necessary energy to pack everything again and move to a new place closer to the University. A lovely kiwi house with flatmates from all over the world (United States, Canada, Ireland, Germany, Malaysia, China, Bangladesh). By the end of the day, looking around at my new room and having the overwhelming sensation of being on the edge of starting a new chapter, I sat down, looked at my fingers and starting counting again for how many days I have been here. Still in disbelief.


1 comment: